Sep 3, 2021
In this issue...
- Executive Committee Report
Executive Committee Chairman John Somerville on the recent letters to the venison marketing companies, the ongoing Covid situation and the upcoming retirement of Tony Pearse.
- Don’t be a hero, but do be a hero (i.e. a good neighbour)
Covid-19 has changed the way we do business. Here are a few pointers to consider.
- Velvet season fast approaching
With the velvet season fast approaching, it is important to make sure you're ready.
- VelTrak Lives! Tags are being sent to farmers now!
VelTrak is now live and ready for the coming velvet season.
- Freshwater consultation update
The latest proposals suggest that the government has moved on substantially from its position last year following representations from primary industries and regional councils.
- Cervidae Oral article: Correction
The article “First triple active oral drench for deer” pertaining to the launch of Cervidae Oral, published in the Deer Industry News issue 109, August/September 2021, pp20-21 contained an error regarding the efficacy of Cervidae Oral against lungworm.
- DeerPRO Update
An update from Solis Norton, DeerPRO Manager.
- OSPRI update - Extension to NAIT timeframes
OSPRI have extended NAIT reporting timeframes to give farmers some breathing room especially if facing delays with transporters and meat processing.
Notice of AGM - Canterbury West Coast 23rd September | 2021 Branch Chairs Meeting | NIWA Climate briefing and outlook | MetService Monthly Outlook
Joke of the Month
A retired man now volunteers to entertain patients at assisted living homes and hospitals.
He visited one hospital in Brooklyn and brought along his portable keyboard. After telling jokes and singing songs at a patients' bedside, he said farewell and, "I hope you get better."
The elderly gentleman replied, "I hope you get better too."
Events - disruptions from alert level changes
- POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE Regional Workshop - Biodiversity and Riparian Planting - 8th September. See further details here >>
- CANCELLED Deer Industry farmer meeting in Waikato on 21 September. See further details here >>
- Canterbury West Coast AGM 23 September.
- 2021 Matuschka Award winner field day 30 September. The Kaipara Branch NZDFA will be holding an award / field day to celebrate Di and Ian Bristow winning the 2021 Matuschka Award. See further details here >>
To see the most up-to-date events in the industry, click here >>