Aug 17, 2022
Issue 180 | August 2022
In a unique situation where no nominations were received to fill outgoing chair John Somerville's position on the Executive Committee, Jamie Ward has been appointment for 12 months to fill that position.
We've reflected on what a good association newsletter should be and would like to welcome you to the new DFA Stagline. We hope that this will be a useful newsletter that covers our mission: Your Voice, Our Future.
Producer Manager Lindsay Fung has been out and about recently. Here he reports on three events; MPI winter grazing visit in Southland, Rural Professionals Workshop with regional councils in the Hawkes Bay and the National Tech Expo in South Canterbury.
Last week young deer farmers descended on the central North Island for the annual two-day gathering. This year the group got to take in 3 properties and got a taste of venison prepared by an award winning chef.
Holidays are taking on another dimension for deer farmers travelling to Bali and to other Indonesian destinations this month with the latter being one of several Indonesian provinces currently experiencing an outbreak of foot and mouth disease (FMD) and it is causing an acute problem for our Australian neighbours. So, what can we do to protect New Zealand?
Reserves have been building up for a number of years and the Executive Committee would like to use these funds in a constructive way. A Branch Fund has been created to help put those Branches who might not have a large enough membership to send a representative to meetings, or aid in an industry good activity.
First Light’s New Zealand venison has been ‘Cooking with fire’ in the US recently. The marketer has already doubled its venison volume heading to the US this year and its first production of retail products has just rolled out of Atkins Ranch for Force of Nature.
- The NZDFA Matuschka Award and Deer Industry Award are to be presented in October. Nominations are now open.
- Venison BBQ week: In celebration of New Zealand Venison BBQ week, the NZDFA and DINZ are putting out a challenge to all deer farmers and lovers of venison to make your favourite venison dish.
- Illegal hunting: Do you have concerns about or experience of poaching on your property'? We would like to hear them for an upcoming workshop with Police and industry representatives.
- Masters student Cathleen Schriber-Hannah is researching coping strategies, unwinding activities, and the wellbeing of farmers. Fill in a short survey to help her studies.
- Joke of the month
- Alliance and Beef + Lamb NZ GHG workshops, various dates and locations >>
- Silver Fern Farms and Beef + Lamb NZ GHG workshops, various dates and locations >>
- DINZ GHG workshop, 1 September, Waipukurau >>
- DINZ Road Trip, Hawkes Bay, 20 September >>
- 50 years of deer science, 29 September >>
- National Velvet and Hard Antler Competition, 14-16 December, Invercargill >>
For any DFA Stagline enquires, please get in touch with Cenwynn on firstname.lastname@example.org