Oct 11, 2022
Issue 182 | October 2022
|If you or your NZDFA branch have recently held any deer farming events, please feel free to contact DFA Stagline and we will aim to publish them in the next issue.|
Executive Committee Update
Justin Stevens on what the NZDFA Executive Committee have been up to, including meeting with the Climate Change Commission, the venison schedule and the velvet season.
What’s been happening around the country?
Producer Manager Lindsay Fung reports what he has been doing since the last issue, including the Elworthy Award winners field day last week, the Hawkes Bay DINZ roadshow and the 50.
Invermay 50 Years of Deer Farming Science Excellence
Jamie Ward, Executive Committee member and co-organiser, reports on the celebration of 50 years of deer farming science held at Invermay last month.
Deer farmers need to have their say on the new Deer Code
Work on the new draft Code has been completed by the National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (NAWAC) and public consultation will be open for the next few weeks.
Velvetters’ seasonal reminders for 2022-2023
With the velvet season fast approaching, here are a few reminders to help make things go smoothly for everyone involved.
Noticeboard and Events
- Thank you to Ian Walker from the Hawkes Bay Branch
- Obituaries: Ernie Hazelhurst and Phil Irwin
- Reminder: Branch Financial Support
- Deer farmers' famous namesakes
- Illegal hunting
- Production calendar feature: Antler biology
- Reminder: ANZ bank account closing on October 31
- Classifieds - vet student looking for placement
- Joke of the month
- Wetlands field day, Friday 21 October, Albury, South Canterbury >>
- ‘Know Your Number’ GHG Workshop - Various Locations - 12 Oct through 23 November >>
- Hawkes Bay 2022 Velvet and Hard Antler Competition, Thursday 17 November 2022, details to come >>
- SCNO 2022 Velvet & Hard Antler Competition, Friday 25 November, details to come >>
- North Island Velvet Competition, Saturday 26 November 2022, Te Awamutu >>
- National Velvet and Hard Antler Competition, 14-16 December, Invercargill >>
- 2023 Rising Stars, 25 February 2023, Te Awamutu >>